Certificates of Occupancy

An occupancy permit is required prior to the occupancy and use of any and all buildings or real property located in a commercial or industrially zoned district, or in areas designated within HUD zoning districts for commercial or industrial use, or the common areas and management offices associated with multifamily uses, or places of assembly, including but not limited to churches, public schools, and community buildings, regardless of the zoning district in which they are located.


What is a Certificate of Occupancy (CO)?

A CO is a document issued by the City of Azle certifying a building's compliance with applicable building codes and other laws, and indicating the building to be in a condition that is suitable for occupancy.

When should I apply for my CO?

City ordinance requires submission of an application for an occupancy permit prior to the date you intend to occupy the premises.

How much is the permit fee?


Can I make alterations to the property?

Yes, minor alterations such as carpet, paint, cosmetic, etc. may be made. However, major remodeling such as moving of walls, enclosing, or expanding of tenant spaces will require a building permit. If electrical, plumbing, or air conditioning work are proposed a permit may be required. Please call the permitting office at 817-444-2541 ext. 102 for any further questions. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. excluding holidays.

Can I get temporary power and utilities before I am ready to occupy the premises?

The connection of temporary utility service for the purpose of cleanup or property improvements or alterations may be authorized for a fifteen-day period beginning with the date of acceptance of the application.

What happens after I submit my application?

  1. The application will be reviewed by the city building official or his appointee, the city fire chief or his appointee, and the city ordinance officer or his appointee. The Tarrant County health department will be advised of all applications and be given an opportunity to determine whether or not an inspection is warranted. Other city, county, state, or federal departments may be asked to review the application depending on the nature or type of business.
  2. You must make the premises available to the city fire and building departments for a physical inspection to assure adherence to the requirements of the International Fire Code and the International Building Code and associated trade codes. You must also make the premises available to the Tarrant County health department and other city, county, state, or federal departments as deemed necessary by the city building official or his appointee. If any inspection fails, an occupancy permit will not be issued; you will be allowed to resolve the issues and request a reinspection.
  3. You must have all valid permits, licenses, and certificates that pertain to the use stated in the occupancy permit application as may be required by city, county, state, and federal departments.
  4. After all inspections are passed and all required licenses have been obtained and provided to the city building official or his appointee, then the city will issue your CO.
  5. The CO shall be posted in a conspicuous place on the premises.
  6. You must have the CO before you can open for business or allow anyone to occupy the premises.

Will I need other permits?

You may need permits for other work including electrical, plumbing, mechanical, remodel, as well as signs. Please visit the our Permits page for more information, or call the permitting office at 817-444-2541 ext. 102 for any further questions. 

Frequently encountered problems with CO inspections:

  1. Address and/or suite number not posted in front (3 ½ inch high).
  2. Electrical switches and outlet covers missing or broken.
  3. Empty spaces in electrical panels.
  4. Meter bases and panels not labeled.
  5. Exposed wiring or improper electrical installations.
  6. Extension cords used as permanent wiring.
  7. Water connections which expose the city water supply to contamination, such as:
    1. Unapproved ball cock assembly in toilet tank.
    2. Air gap (space) needed between floor drain and ice machine.
    3. Vacuum breaker needed on fixtures or sinks where a hose can be connected.
    4. No back flow prevention device or vacuum breaker on sprinkler systems.
  8. Open drain lines at abandoned plumbing fixtures.
  9. Restaurants without grease trap. Sizing based on Uniform Plumbing Code.
  10. Improper gas connections.
  11. Appliances without approved shutoff within three feet (3') of appliance.
  12. Improper venting or combustion air for gas water heater or gas furnaces.
  13. Safety or relief valve on water heater not draining properly.

If you have any questions or need assistance with permits, please call 817-444-2541 ext. 102.

Certificate of Occupancy (CO) Application

Please email all applications and forms to permits@cityofazle.org.

Related Ordinances


View the Fee Schedule. Building permit fees vary according to the type of construction.