The Azle Volunteer Fire Department was unofficially started in 1947 by the Azle Civic League, and then was chartered on June 28, 1951. The Azle Civic League had one purpose when it originated - provide a fire truck. The initial list had 65 members who donated $2.50 to $3.00 each. The Civic League acquired an additional 237 donations to purchase a fire truck.
The first fire truck was purchased by the Civic League on April 3, 1948, from Steve Cook Motor Company in Fort Worth. The truck was then outfitted with all of the supplies needed to fight fire from Leonard Brothers. The total cost was $4,569.19.